This firehouse opened on March 30, 1893 when Hose Company 10 moved in from 330 Dorchester Street, several blocks away. On November 13, 1893 Engine Company 43 was organized here. Engine 43 had been organized to replace Hose Company 10. Read a newspaper story on the new firehouse: Story.
The firehouse was located at 5 Boston Street, South Boston, just off the main portion of Andrew Square. A City Report on the construction of the firehouse:
View a publication on the firehouse with the interior layout: Layout
On January 7, 1898 Combination Ladder 3 was organized here. On April 21, 1905 Combination Ladder 3 was designated Ladder Company 20.
The companies stayed here until July 1, 1961 when Engine 43 and Ladder 20 moved to the former quarters of Engine Company 23 at 920 Massachusetts Avenue, part of the Fire Department Headquarters complex.
The firehouse at 5 Boston Street was demolished at a later date.
The site became a gasoline service station for many years and was later converted to a bank.