The firehouse of Bunker Hill Engine No. 2 was built in by the Town of Charlestown on 1473 square feet of land at 556 Main St. near Cambridge St. in the Sullivan Sq. section of Charlestown. The new firehouse was built in 1843 for the Town by Palmer and Whipple at a cost of $1172.
The Town of Charlestown became a City on April 26, 1847.
The Charlestown Fire Department was reorganized on March 20, 1866 due to the purchase of a Steam Fire Engine and the introduction of a city water system. Bunker Hill Engine No. 2 became Bunker Hill Hose No. 2.
The City of Charlestown was annexed to Boston on January 5, 1874. Charlestown Hose Co. 2 became Hose Co. 2 of the Boston Fire Department with no change of number.
Engine Co. 32 was organized nearby at 440 Bunker Hill St. on March 17, 1884 and Hose Co. 2 was deactivated.
The firehouse at 556 Main St. was sold and was still standing into the early 1950’s.