This firehouse was built in 1884 and Engine Company 32 was organized here on March 17, 1884. Hose Company 2 at 556 Main Street , a short distance away, was disbanded on that date.
The firehouse is located at 440 Bunker Hill Street, near the intersection of Short Street, in the Sullivan Square section of Charlestown.
Ladder Company 9 moved in on July 1, 1961 from their former quarters with Engine Company 27 at 333 Main Street , Hancock Square, Charlestown.
Engine 32 and Ladder 9 remained here until a new firehouse was built at 525 Main Street , just a short distance away. The companies moved out on October 16, 1970 and the firehouse was closed.
The former firehouse is extant and is now occupied by the Charlestown Working Theater.
The Charlestown Firefighters Memorial Park is located on an adjacent parcel of land. Two plaques recognizing the Memorial Park are mounted on the former firehouse.