Engine 7 / Hose 4 51 Bunker Hill St. Charlestown (1842)
The firehouse at 51 Bunker Hill St. was located on 800 Sq. Ft. of land at the corner of Bunker Hill and Tufts St. in the Hayes Sq. section of Charlestown and was occupied by Hose Co. 7. The house was a two story brick building and was built by the Town of Charlestown in 1842. The Town purchased land from Gilbert Tufts and hired George Adams to build the firehouse at a cost of $1287.
The Town of Charlestown changed to City Government on April 26, 1847.
The Charlestown Fire Department was reorganized in 1866 with the purchase of a steam fire engine and the introduction of water into the City. On March 20, 1866, Franklin Engine No. 7 was changed to Franklin Hose Co. 4. Hose 4 was also located at 51 Bunker Hill St.
The Charlestown Fire Department was reorganized again in October, 1872 when the Department was put on a paid basis.
The City of Charlestown was annexed to Boston on January 5, 1874 and Hose Co. 4 was incorporated into the Boston Fire Department with no change of number.
A new firehouse for Hose Co. 4 was built in 1887 at 44 Monument St. and Hose 4 moved to this location on December 19, 1887. Hose 4 would become Engine 36 in 1890. The firehouse at 51 Bunker Hill St. was permanently closed.
The firehouse was soon torn down and wooden tenements were built on the site. The Administration building for the Charlestown public housing development was built at this location in 1940 and occupies the site today.