This firehouse was built in 1891 and was opened on May 18, 1891 when newly organized Ladder Company 17 moved in.
The firehouse was located at 157 Harrison Avenue, near the intersection of Harvard Street, in the Downtown section of Boston.
Ladder 17 stayed here until January 7, 1946 when they moved to the firehouse at 194 Broadway, the quarters of Engine 26, Engine 35 and Rescue 1. The firehouse at 157 Harrison Avenue was closed.
The land once occupied by Ladder 17 is now part of the Tufts-New England Medical Center.