This firehouse was built in 1928 and was occupied on April 17, 1928 by Engine Company 26, Engine Company 35, Rescue Company 1, and Water Tower Company 2.
The firehouse was located at 194 Broadway, between Washington Street and Shawmut Avenue, where a housing complex now exists. It was a large firehouse, with four apparatus bays and one bay for a chief’s car.
On January 7, 1946 Ladder Company 17, having been quartered at 157 Harrison Avenue since 1891, moved into 194 Broadway. Later, on January 23, 1946, Water Tower 2 moved out to 60 Bristol Street in the South End.
On February 4, 1947 Engine Company 35 was disbanded.
On June 26, 1950 Water Tower 2 moved back into 194 Broadway. It stayed four years until, on July 13, 1954 it moved out to occupy a new firehouse at 123 Oliver Street, Downtown.
On that same day, July 13, 1954, Engine Company 7 moved in from 123 Oliver Street.
On November 9, 1954 Rescue Company 1 was disbanded. The rescue equipment assigned to Rescue 1 was transferred to Engine 7’s hose wagon and Engine Company 7 began to respond to assignments as Rescue 1 had in the past.
On May 10, 1971 Engine 26, Engine 7, and Ladder 17 moved out of 194 Broadway and into a new firehouse at 200 Columbus Avenue in Park Square.
The firehouse at 194 Broadway was closed and later demolished in preparation for the area to be redeveloped into a housing development.