This firehouse was opened on December 31, 1958 when Engine Company 16 and Ladder Company 6 moved in. Engine 16 moved from temporary quarters at 1884 Dorchester St. (now Engine 18), after having spent nearly nine decades at a firehouse at 2 Temple Street, which it had occupied since the annexation of the Town of Dorchester in 1870.
Ladder 6 moved from the quarters of Engine Company 19 at 128 Babson Street, near Mattapan Square.
The firehouse is located at the apex of the intersection created by Gallivan Boulevard and Morton Street, in the Dorchester section of the city.
Plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate two firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty.
Fire companies assigned to this firehouse respond to incidents in Dorchester, Mattapan and parts of Roslindale. The District Chief of District 8 shares quarters in this firehouse.
In 1982, Ladder 6 moved to the quarters of Engine 18 at 1884 Dorchester Avenue.
Engine 16 responds to approximately 2100 incidents per year.