This station opened on May 3, 1932 when Engine Company 2 and Ladder Company 19 moved in from their prior quarters. Engine 2 had been quartered at 863 East Fourth Street at the corner of O Street. Ladder 19 had been quartered at 715 East Fourth Street, one-half block away. Both former firehouses still exist. The firehouse is a three-story, three-bay firehouse located at the corner of East Fourth and K Streets in South Boston.
Six plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty. The plaques honoring Lieutenant Gavagan and Ladderman Sullivan were dedicated on December 3, 2011. The plaques honoring Captain Gunn, Hoseman Barrett and Fire Fighter Spacone were dedicated on October 5, 2013. The plaque honoring Lieutenant Downing was dedicated many years ago.
In 2014 an entire set of custom-built wood lockers was constructed on the third floor of the firehouse. The cost of the lockers was covered entirely by members assigned to the firehouse.
The response area of Engine 2 and Ladder 19 is mainly in South Boston and parts of Dorchester. Engine 2 responds to approximately 1300 incidents per year, while Ladder 19 responds to approximately 1000.