This firehouse was opened on December 18, 1974 when Engine Company 12 moved in from their quarters at 407 Dudley Street. On December 19 Engine Company 14 moved in from their former quarters at 27 Centre Street. Ladder Company 4 moved in on December 23 from their quarters at 198 Dudley Street.
The firehouse is located at 174 Dudley Street at the corner of Harrison Avenue in the Dudley Square section of Roxbury.
The companies quartered here have a large response area, covering Roxbury, South End, Fenway and parts of Dorchester and South Boston.
Plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty.
The three fire companies in this station were among four companies organized by the City of Boston upon annexation of the Town of Roxbury in 1868. The companies were assigned the next available Boston numbers, thus Engines 12, 13, 14 and Ladder 4 were created.
Engine Company 12 was disbanded on April 10, 1981 along with many other fire companies.
Engine 14 responds to approximately 3400 incidents per year. Ladder 4 responds to approximately 3600 incidents per year.