This firehouse opened on June 11, 1959 when Engine-Squad 45 and Ladder Company 16 moved in from their former quarters at 4246 Washington Street in Roslindale Square, and Engine Company 53 from their former quarters at 16 Walk Hill Street.
The original address of the firehouse was 315 Cummins Highway. It was later changed to 945 Canterbury Street. The fire house is located at 945 Canterbury Street at the large intersection of American Legion Highway, Cummins Highway, and Canterbury Street, in the Roslindale section of the city.
The District Fire Chief of District 12 shares quarters in this firehouse.
Engine-Squad 45 was re-designated Engine Company 45 on July 31, 1969. Engine 45 was disbanded on April 10, 1981.
Two plaques are mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate firefighters who died in the Line Of Duty.
Engine 53 and Ladder 16 have a large response area. They respond to incidents in Roslindale, Mattapan, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury. Engine 53 responds to approximately 2800 incidents per year. Ladder 16 responds to approximately 2400 incidents per year.