This firehouse was opened August 24, 1888 when Chemical Engine Company 4 (Roslindale) moved in from its old quarters on the same property. The top photo on the left shows the firehouse of Chemical Engine Company 4.
On October 12, 1888, a new company, Ladder Company 16, was organized here. See a newspaper story on the opening of the firehouse: Story
The firehouse was located at 4246 Washington Street, at Roslindale Square, at the corner of Washington Street and Poplar Street.
On March 10, 1892 Combination Wagon 1 (Roslindale) was organized and Chemical Company 4 was disbanded. On September 17, 1894 Combination 1 was disbanded and Engine Company 45 was organized in its place.
On April 4, 1956 Engine 45 and Engine-Squad 53 changed designations. The personnel and equipment from Engine-Squad 53 at 16 Walk Hill Street moved to Engine 45’s quarters and became Engine-Squad 45. The personnel and equipment of Engine 45 moved to 16 Walk Hill Street and became Engine 53.
On June 11, 1959 the firehouse was closed and Engine-Squad 45 and Ladder 16 moved to a new firehouse, along with Engine 53, at 945 Canterbury Street.
The property at 4246 Washington Street is now the site of the Roslindale Branch of the Boston Public Library.