The firehouse was built in 1910 and Chemical Company 13 was organized here on July 29, 1910. Chemical 13 was assigned the first new motorized fire apparatus in the city’s history. All other apparatus was either horse-drawn or had been converted from horse-drawn to motorized. Read a Boston Globe newspaper story from July 29, 1910 about the new Chemical engine. Story
The firehouse is located at 16 Walk Hill Street, at the corner of Wenham Street, in the Jamaica Plain/Roslindale section of the city.
Chemical 13 was disbanded on December 10, 1921 and Engine Company 53 was organized in its place on that date. Ladder Company 10 moved in on May 25, 1954 and stayed until April 27, 1955.
Engine 53 was designated Engine-Squad 53 on September 21, 1954, when the Fire Department initiated the Engine-Squad concept. Five engine companies were designated as Engine-Squads to provide more flexibility for Rescue-Squad fire duty. Engine Company 53 was changed to Engine-Squad 53 on that date.
On April 4, 1956 Engine-Squad 53 was moved to 4246 Washington Street, Roslindale Square, quarters of Engine 45, and was designated Engine-Squad 45. Engine 45 was moved to the former quarters of Engine-Squad 53 and was designated Engine 53.
The Engine-Squad concept was phased out during June and July, 1969.
On June 11, 1959, Engine 53 moved to a new firehouse at American Legion Highway and Canterbury Street in Roslindale, along with Engine-Squad 45 and Ladder 16. The firehouse at 16 Walk Hill Street was closed.
The building was sold, remains extant, and has been converted into a private residence.