This firehouse was opened on September 15, 1948 with Engine Company 8 and Ladder Company 1 moving from other firehouses. This firehouse serves the densely populated North End of Boston, with many apartment buildings, restaurants, narrow streets and both foot and vehicular traffic.
A plaque is mounted on the exterior of the firehouse to commemorate a firefighter who died in the Line Of Duty.
Except for brief absences for renovations, Engine 8 and Ladder 1 have occupied this firehouse since it opened. On June 20, 2005, Engine 8 & Ladder 1 moved to temporary quarters on the US Coast Guard Base at 427 Commercial Street, North End, to allow for replacement of the concrete slab on the firehouse floor. The companies returned to 392 Hanover Street at a later date.
Engine 8 and Ladder 1 have a large response area, due the proximity of the North End to Beacon Hill, Charlestown and East Boston (via the Callahan Tunnel).
Engine 8 and Ladder 1 respond to approximately 1500 and 1300 incidents per year, respectively.
The firehouse is located on Hanover Street at the corner of Charter Street.