This firehouse was opened on November 10, 1930. Over a period of five days, five different fire companies moved in:
- (11/10) Engine 4 from 16 North Grove Street, Beacon Hill.
- (11/12) Ladder 24 from 16 North Grove Street, Beacon Hill.
- (11/13) Engine 6 from 26 Leverett Street, West End.
- (11/14) Rescue 3 from 34 Winthrop Street, Charlestown.
- (11/14) Water Tower 1 from Fort Hill Square, Downtown.
The firehouse was located on Cambridge Street at Bowdoin Square, between Bowdoin Street and Bulfinch Street. It was the largest firehouse ever built in Boston, containing seven apparatus bays.
On October 17, 1933, Water Tower 1 moved out, again moving to Fort Hill Square. In its place, Ladder Company 1 moved in on the same day, from its former quarters at 152 Friend Street, Warren Square, Downtown. Ladder 1 stayed here until September 22, 1948, when they moved to a new firehouse at 392 Hanover Street in the North End.
On December 16, 1943, Water Tower 1 again moved in from Fort Hill Square. It stayed here until May 1, 1956 when the company was disbanded and the apparatus placed ‘In Reserve’.
On February 15, 1946 Engine Company 10 moved in from its quarters at 127 Mount Vernon Street, Beacon Hill, while a new firehouse was being built. Engine 10 moved back to 127 Mount Vernon Street on April 14, 1949.
On January 1, 1955 Rescue Company 3 was designated ‘Rescue Company’ as it was the only rescue company in service in the city. On June 11, 1960, the Rescue Company moved to new quarters with Engine 25 and Ladder 8 at 123 Oliver Street, Downtown.
On February 4, 1947 Engine 6 was disbanded, along with several other engine companies across the city. Engine 6 was reactivated on April 27, 1949, only to be disbanded again on July 13, 1954.
October 28, 1963 the Bowdoin Square firehouse was closed, with Engine 4 and Ladder 24 moving to a new firehouse at 200 Cambridge Street, where they remain today. The Bowdoin Square firehouse, such a large firehouse with an imposing physical presence in a downtown location, was demolished after lasting only 33 years.