This firehouse was opened in May, 1874 when Ladder Company 4 moved in from their former quarters at 20 Eustis Street.
The firehouse is located at 407 Dudley Street at the corner of Blue Hill Avenue, in the Roxbury section of the city.
Ladder 4 stayed here until September 30, 1880, when Engine Company 12 moved in from their former quarters at 198 Dudley Street. From August 15, 1924 to January 7, 1925, Engine 12 was relocated to 198 Dudley Street to allow for renovations to this firehouse.
On September 21, 1938, Engine 12 moved again to 198 Dudley Street (quarters of Ladder 4). Several other relocations took place across the city on this date. The firehouse at 407 Dudley Street remained closed until October 16, 1946 when Engine 12 returned from 198 Dudley Street.
On December 18, 1974 Engine 12 moved out for the last time and the firehouse was closed. A new firehouse at 174 Dudley Street had been built and Engines 12 and 14 and Ladder 4 moved in.
407 Dudley Street remains extant and is now used as a day-care and early childhood education center. In 2010, the building was listed ‘For Sale’.