This firehouse was built in 1860 as part of the Roxbury Fire Department, before Roxbury was annexed to the City of Boston in 1868. The Roxbury fire company assigned here was America Company No. 2.
The firehouse is located at 27 Centre Street near John Eliot Square in Roxbury, just west of Dudley Square.
Upon annexation, Engine Company 14 was organized at this firehouse. Engine 14 remained here virtually the entire period from 1868 to 1974.
On June 2, 1868, all fire companies were authorized to have a Name and Number, a practice that been used in years past. Engine 14 thus became Dearborn No. 14. The name and number concept stayed in effect until 1873, when Dearborn No. 14 reverted back to Engine 14.
The firehouse was extensively renovated in 1916, including adding a third floor.
Rescue Company 2 moved in on September 21, 1938 from their former quarters at 198 Dudley Street. Many other apparatus relocations took place across the city on this date.
Renovations in 1947 caused the patrol desk, which had been located on the left (facing) side, to be moved to the right side. The patrol desk extended outside the building, behind the wood gate seen on the right-side of the firehouse.
Rescue 2 stayed here until September 21, 1954, upon which date the company was disbanded and the Fire Department initiated the Engine-Squad concept. Five engine companies were designated as Engine-Squads to provide more flexibility for Rescue-Squad fire duty. Engine Company 14 was changed to Engine Squad 14 on that date. The Engine-Squad concept was phased out during June and July, 1969.
Lighting Plant 2 was quartered here from April 26, 1967 to December 16, 1974, at which time they moved to the quarters of Engine 21 at 641 Columbia Road, Dorchester.
The firehouse was closed on December 19, 1974. Engine 14 moved into a new firehouse at 174 Dudley Street in Dudley Square along with Engine 12 and Ladder 4.
The building remains extant and is still owned by the city.