This firehouse opened on October 20, 1885 when Hose Company 1 (Charlestown) and Ladder Company 9 moved in from a firehouse across the street at 326 Main Street. Read a newspaper story on the new firehouse: Story.
The firehouse was located at 333 Main Street, in the Hancock Square section of Charlestown. The firehouse was situated midblock between Walker Street and Eden Street. The Boston Elevated train tracks ran the length of Main Street, directly in front of the firehouse.
On July 17, 1888 Hose 1 was disbanded and Chemical Company 9 was organized in its place. Chemical 9 stayed here until the company was disbanded on July 26, 1918.
Engine Company 27 moved in on April 22, 1938 from their former firehouse at 11 Elm Street. On the same date, the district chief of District 2 moved out, moving to the quarters of Engine 50 at 34 Winthrop Street.
Engine 27 and Ladder 9 remained here until July 1, 1961. On that date, Engine 27 was disbanded, Ladder 9 moved to Engine 32’s quarters at 440 Bunker Hill Street , and the firehouse at 333 Main Street was closed.
A permit for demolition was issued September 20, 1968. The site is now a parking lot.