Engine 9 / Ladder 2 firehouse at 60 Paris St., East Boston (1891)
The firehouse at 60 Paris St., near the corner of Meridian St. in the Maverick Sq. section of East Boston, was built in 1891 and was the quarters of Engine Co. 9, Ladder Co. 2, and District 1. The firehouse is a three story, two bay, yellow brick building that was built on the site of an earlier firehouse and was designed by city architect Harrison Atwood.
Engine Co. 9 moved to the new firehouse on March 31, 1891 from a temporary location at the quarters of Engine Co. 11 at 260 Sumner Street. Ladder Co. 2 moved to 60 Paris St. from their old firehouse at 260 Sumner Street on May 18, 1891.
Engine 9 was changed from horse drawn to motor apparatus on July 24, 1923.
Ladder 2 was converted to motor apparatus on October 15, 1923, one of the last in the Department to have horse drawn apparatus.
The Chief of District 1 moved to Engine 5 quarters at 64 Marion Street on September 16, 1927.
Engine 9 moved temporarily to Ladder 31 quarters and Ladder 2 to Engine 40 quarters on August 14, 1930 for five months during renovations to the firehouse.
The firehouse at 60 Paris St. closed permanently when Engine 9 and Ladder 2 moved to a new firehouse at 239 Sumner Street with Engine 40 on May 16, 1977.
The firehouse remains extant and is currently occupied by the Italian/American war veterans.
Engine 9 firehouse at 60 Paris St. East Boston (1836 or later)
The City built a firehouse in 1836 at 60 Paris St. in East Boston that was located near the intersection of Meridian St. This firehouse was a two story, three bay, brick and granite building and was located on 4000 Sq. Ft. of land. The date of construction has been disputed as there is no record of its construction.
Hand Engine 11, the first engine in East Boston, was located in this firehouse and Hand Engine 4 was also organized here on June 1, 1847. The City added a Watch House (Police Station) at 60 Paris St. in 1851 and the building was then used as a combined Fire and Police Station. In 1852, the Fire Department was reorganized, Engine 11 was renumbered to Maverick Engine No. 9 and Engine 4 was disbanded. Deluge Hose Co. 6 was organized in its place.
A new police station was built for Division 7 at Meridian and Paris Sts. and it was completed in May, 1859. The firehouse was then used exclusively by the Fire Department and was remodeled with the addition of a stable at a cost of $512 for the use of a horse drawn steam fire engine.
Steam Engine Co. 9 was organized at 60 Paris St. on December 26, 1859. Hand Engine 9 was disbanded on the same day and Hand Hose No. 6 moved to the former quarters of Hand Engine 10 at 251 Meridian Street, near Central Square, but was disbanded shortly thereafter.
The Chief of District 1 was located in these quarters beginning on April 7, 1874.
On July 11, 1890 the firehouse at 60 Paris St. was closed and Engine 9 moved temporarily to the quarters of Engine 11 and Ladder 2 at 260 Sumner St. The firehouse on Paris St. was torn down and a new firehouse for Engine 9 and Ladder 2 and District 1 was built at the same location at 60 Paris St. in 1891.