This firehouse was opened on September 27, 1886 when Chemical Engine Company 7 was organized here.
The firehouse was located at 761 Saratoga Street, at the corner of Byron Street, East Boston. It was located midway between the Day Square and Orient Heights sections of East Boston.
On July 11, 1890, Engine 11 moved from their former quarters at 260 Sumner Street in the Jeffries Pt. section of East Boston. On May 18, 1891, Chemical 7 moved to 391 Chelsea Street , East Boston, the quarters of Hose Co. 6. Hose 6 was deactivated the same day.
On December 24, 1897 Combination Ladder Company 4 was organized here. On April 21, 1905 Combination Ladder 4 was designated Ladder Company 21.
In 1911 Engine 11 received the first motorized hose wagon in the city. It was placed here due to the long response runs Engine 11 made throughout East Boston.
On November 15, 1950, Engine 11 moved to a newly built firehouse at 1 Ashley Street , in the Orient Heights section of East Boston. On May 2, 1951 Engine 11 moved back to 761 Saratoga Street, after Engine Company 56 had been organized at 1 Ashley Street.
On September 21, 1954 Engine 11 was designated Engine-Squad 11. This designation meant that the company would perform both engine company work as well as rescue squad work. Four other fire companies across the city had also designated Engine-Squads.
On July 1, 1961 Engine-Squad 11 moved to 360 Saratoga Street to share quarters with Engine Company 5. Ladder Company 21 moved to the quarters of Engine 56 at 1 Ashley Street. The firehouse at 761 Saratoga Street was closed.
The building was demolished soon after. The site today is a children’s playground.