This firehouse was opened on September 21, 1902 for Chemical Company 7 (East Boston), replacing their former firehouse at 391 Chelsea Street, which was later demolished for the widening of Bennington Street. The firehouse is located on Saratoga Street near the corner of Prescott Street in the Day Square section of East Boston.
The following companies occupied this firehouse in the years from 1902 to present: Chemical 7, Ladder 31, Engine 5, Engine 11.
Chemical 7 was disbanded on June 14, 1926 and Ladder Company 31 was organized at this firehouse. Engine Company 5 moved in temporarily on October 4, 1917 and stayed until September 27, 1919 while their firehouse at 64 Marion Street was undergoing renovation. Engine 5 moved in permanently on September 21, 1938 and the firehouse at 64 Marion Street was closed.
Ladder 31 was disbanded on May 25, 1954. On July 1, 1961 Engine Squad Company 11 moved in from their previous firehouse at 761 Saratoga Street, which was closed.
Engine 11 stayed at this firehouse until the company was disbanded on October 20, 1981.
Engine 5 shares the firehouse with the District Chief of District 1. Engine 5 responds to approximately 2,000 incidents per year.