This firehouse was opened on September 11, 1953 as a replacement for the Fort Hill Square firehouse which was vacated on September 26, 1952.
The firehouse was located at 123 Oliver Street, between High Street and Purchase Street.
Engine Company 25 and Ladder Company 8 occupied the firehouse on September 11 and Engine Company 7 moved in on September 12 from their former quarters at 7 East Street near South Station.
The Rescue Company (no number) moved in on June 11, 1960, having moved from the Bowdoin Square firehouse. On October 25, 1972 the Rescue Company was designated Rescue Company 1.
Engine Company 25 was disbanded on February 4, 1981. Ladder Company 8 was disbanded on April 10, 1981.
Engine Company 10 moved in during 1982 from their former quarters at 127 Mt. Vernon St., Beacon Hill.
A new fire company, the Tower Company, was placed in service here on May 21, 1983.
The firehouse was closed in 1989 due to the development plans for the entire city block bounded by High, Oliver, Purchase and Pearl Streets. A new firehouse was built as part of the redevelopment, occupying the first two floors of the high-rise building on the Purchase Street side, where it remains today.