Engine 27 11 Elm St. Charlestown (1867)
The firehouse at 11 Elm St. opposite Summer St. in Charlestown was built in 1867 by the City of Charlestown. This firehouse was a three story, 2 bay, brick building located on 2600 Sq. Ft. of land and initially housed Charlestown Howard Engine 1.
This firehouse stood on the site of an old wood firehouse (date unknown ) that was the quarters of Harvard Engine No. 3. Charlestown received its first steam fire engine in 1864 and it was placed in service at the firehouse on Elm St. on December 19, 1864. The old firehouse was renovated to accommodate the steam fire engine for the sum of $1833. Harvard hand engine 3 was disbanded on November 10, 1864.
A lot adjacent to the firehouse on Elm St. was purchased by the City in 1866 for $2500 and a new firehouse was built for the City on the enlarged lot by Mr. David S. Tucker for the sum of $30,000. A new Amoskeag steam engine was purchased and Howard Steam Engine No. 1 was placed in service there on June 15, 1867. The first floor was occupied by two steam fire engines and a hose carriage, the second floor was used for sleeping quarters for the engine company and a hay loft, and the third floor was used by cadets as an armory.
A new fire alarm telegraph system consisting of 18 fire alarm boxes was installed in Charlestown on November 12, 1869. The Fire Alarm office was located on the third floor of the engine house on Elm St.
The City of Charlestown was annexed to Boston on January 5, 1874 and the firehouse on Elm St. was turned over to the Boston Fire Department. On May 16, 1874, the Board of Fire Commissioners of the BFD designated Charlestown Engine 1 as Engine Co. 27 of the Boston Fire Department.
On April 7, 1874, the Fire Department divided to City into new Fire Districts. The headquarters of District 2 in Charlestown was located with Engine 27 at 11 Elm St.
On May 2, 1890, the headquarters of District 2 was moved from Engine 27 to the firehouse of Ladder 9 at 333 Main St.
On or about December 24, 1894, Engine 27 was relocated temporarily to Ladder house 9 at 333 Main St. while the firehouse on Elm St. was closed for alterations. This temporary move also required that Chemical 9 move to Chemical 3’s quarters and Chemical 3 move to Engine 36 at 44 Monument St. All of these companies returned to their own quarters on May 20, 1895.
The horse drawn apparatus of Engine 27 was replaced by a motor pump and a motor hose and chemical wagon on July 17, 1923.
Engine Co. 27 was moved to the quarters of Ladder Co. 9 at 333 Main St. on April 22, 1938 and the firehouse on Elm St. was permanently closed. The firehouse remained standing for many years and was mostly vacant. A permit for demolition was issued on June 4, 1969 and the firehouse was torn down.