This firehouse was opened on July 31, 1888 when Engine Company 6 moved in from their former quarters at 30 Wall Street, several blocks away.
The firehouse was located at 26 Leverett Street, near the intersection of Causeway Street, in the former West End section of Boston, approximately where Lomasney Way and Nashua Street intersect today.
Engine 6 stayed here until November 10, 1930 when it moved, along with many other fire companies, into the new Bowdoin Square fire station. The firehouse at 26 Leverett Street was closed and sold. It was demolished in the early 1960’s.
The area where the firehouse stood is now part of the Charles River Park residential complex.