The firehouse at (approximately) 139 Friend Street was built in 1835 and was a two-bay firehouse. It housed Warren Hook & Ladder 1 and Franklin Hydrant (Hose) Company 3. The firehouse was located on the corner of Friend and Market Streets.
Ladder Company 1 was quartered in this immediate vicinity since it was organized in a shed on Merrimac Street on August 4, 1820.
On March 14, 1853, Warren Hook & Ladder 1 moved out and into the new firehouse located across the street at 152 Friend Street. Franklin Hydrant (Hose) 3 moved to the quarters of Melville Engine Co. 6 at 81 Leverett Street, West End.
The old firehouse at 139 Friend Street was demolished at a later date.