Ladder 1 moved to new quarters in a primary school at 152 Friend St. on March 14, 1853 across from their former quarters at Merrimac and Market Sts. near Haymarket Sq. The primary school was built in 1843 and it is believed that the school continued to occupy part of the building for a time after Ladder 1 moved in.
On December 12, 1893, Ladder 1 moved temporarily to the quarters of Engine 4 and Water Tower 1 at 5 Bulfinch St. Ladder 1 occupied the bay of Water Tower 1 which had moved to rented quarters in a temporary building on Hawkins St. at the rear of the Bowdoin Sq. theatre.
During the year 1894, Ladder 1 firehouse was demolished and a new firehouse was built at the same location at 152 Friend St. Ladder 1 moved to the new firehouse on Friend St. in January, 1895. The new firehouse was a three story brick building and contained one bay for the ladder truck. Water Tower 1 moved back to their quarters on Bulfinch St. at the same time.
The City awarded a contract in 1907 for the sum of $2484 to remodel the firehouse. The entire front was rebuilt above the first floor.
Ladder Co. 1 was equipped with a motor ladder truck on October 1, 1919 in place of the horse drawn equipment.
Ladder 1 moved to the new Bowdoin Square firehouse on October 17, 1933. The old firehouse at 152 Friend St. was demolished to allow for the widening of Merrimac St. and construction of the Haymarket Sq. traffic circle. They would remain at this temporary location until new quarters were built for them and Engine 8 at 392 Hanover St. in 1948.