The firehouse was built in 1869 and was occupied by Hose Company 3 (West End) on June 1, 1869, having moved from their prior quarters nearby on Fruit Street. On May 17, 1875 Hose Company 3 was designated Hose Company 8, to avoid confusion between it and Hose Company 3 of Charlestown.
The firehouse was located at 16 North Grove Street, between Cambridge Street and Fruit Street, on the left side of the street when entering from Cambridge Street.
The 1870 city report on the construction of the firehouse:
On December 20, 1895 Hose 8 was disbanded and Chemical Engine Company 11 (West End) was organized. On November 1, 1899, Chemical 11 was disbanded and Combination Ladder Company 8 was organized. On April 21, 1905, Combination 8 was designated Ladder Company 24.
At an unknown date, the firehouse was renovated and reconfigured to add a full third floor, and replacing the two apparatus doors with a single door.
Ladder 24 remained here until November 10, 1930, when the company moved into the new Bowdoin Square firehouse.
The firehouse was converted into a ‘Men Nurses Home’ at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH).
The building was demolished in the 1960’s. Before the demolition, the ‘COMB. 8’ lintel was removed and saved from destruction by the wrecking crew. It has since been relocated to private property in Malden, MA.
North Grove Street now serves as the main access street to the front door of the MGH. The site of the firehouse is now covered by a parking garage.