This firehouse was built in 1869 for Hose Company 8 (South End), which moved in, on April 1, 1869, from their former quarters on Warrenton Street near Tremont Street, just a short distance away.
The former firehouse was located at 25 Church Street, between Fayette Street and Melrose Street, in the Bay Village section of downtown Boston. The building was split into two functions: Firehouse on the left side, Ward Room on the right. Ward Rooms were used in the same context as present-day community centers. Later, the Fire Department took control of the whole building.
View a city report on the construction of the firehouse: City Report
Hose 8 was disbanded and Chemical Company 2 was organized here on April 25, 1874. Chemical 2 was disbanded on July 2, 1920. Engine 26 moved in for a brief stay due to renovations at their quarters at 18 Mason Street, Downtown.
Rescue Company 1 moved in on June 5, 1922 from their old quarters in Fort Hill Square.
On October 9, 1925, the High-Pressure hose wagon of Engine 35 moved in, as their old house at 18 Mason Street was closed.
Rescue 1 and the Hose Wagon of Engine 35 remained here until the new firehouse at 194 Broadway opened on April 17, 1928.
The building was later sold and remains extant as a private residence. The Chemical 2 inscription is still visible on the facade of the building.