This firehouse was built in 1874 and Engine Company 26 was organized here on May 7, 1874.
The firehouse was located at 18 Mason Street, a narrow street running parallel to Tremont Street, between West Street and Avery Street.
Many theatres occupied adjacent properties and several newspapers had offices in the area, making for a very congested traffic pattern.
Engine Company 35 was organized here on June 12, 1890 as a second section of Engine Company 26. In January 1898, Engine 35 received a self-propelled steam engine, similar to one already in service with Engine 38 in South Boston. The self-propelled steamer ran on its own steam, where steam from the boiler was not used just to power the pump, it also propelled the vehicle. The driver in front could only steer the vehicle. The engineer on the back step controlled both the throttle and the brakes.
On July 2, 1920, the firehouse was closed for renovations. On January 5, 1921, Engine 26 and Engine 35 moved back in. On that date, Engine 35’s self-propelled steamer, in service since 1898, was replaced with a motor pumping engine. Read a newspaper story on the newly renovated firehouse: Story.
On January 19, 1921 Engine 26, from this firehouse, responded to a fire in the city of Worcester.
The firehouse was closed on October 9, 1925 and the fire companies were relocated to other firehouses. Engine 26 and Engine 35 would later reunite at 194 Broadway when that new firehouse opened in 1928. Read a newspaper story on the firehouse closing: Story.
The building was torn down at a later date.