This firehouse was built as part of the new Fire Department Headquarters complex in 1951. The main Headquarters building, with an address of 115 Southampton Street, was dedicated on August 6, 1951. The Headquarters complex is located near the intersection of Southampton Street and Massachusetts Avenue in Roxbury.
The firehouse is located at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Theodore Glynn Way, opposite Pompeii Street, in the Roxbury section of the city.
On August 20, 1951 the new firehouse opened, with an address of 900 Massachusetts Avenue. It was occupied by Engine Company 23 and Lighting Plant 2. Engine 23 moved from temporary quarters at Ladder 4 at 198 Dudley Street, and Lighting Plant 2 moved in from the quarters of Engine 3 at 618 Harrison Avenue.
The address of the firehouse was later changed to 920 Massachusetts Avenue.
On July 13, 1954 Engine Company 23 was disbanded and Lighting Plant 2 moved back to Engine 3’s quarters at 618 Harrison Avenue.
On July 1, 1961 Engine Company 43 and Ladder Company 20 moved in from their quarters at 5 Boston Street in the Andrew Square section of South Boston. Engine 43 and Ladder 20 remained here until 1981. On February 4, 1981 Engine 43 was disbanded. On April 4, 1981 Ladder 20 was disbanded and the firehouse was closed.
Since the property is part of the Headquarters complex, the old firehouse facilities have been utilized by other Department personnel. The firehouse is extant and is now the site of the office of the Fire Investigation Unit.